Thursday, November 10, 2016

Order in the Chaos and Chaos in the Order



There is one major highway that leads from Bengaluru airport to Mysore. I have been told that at one point in time, there was no median or lines in the road separating lanes. Luckily for me, there was a median but the lines designating lanes seemed to mean very very little. If you ever wanted to know, it turns out six cars can actually drive side by side on a three lane highway. While the drive was absolutely terrifying and chaotic, I trusted in the driver's knowledge of driving etiquette in India and that we would both make it to Mysore alive, and we did...



Then in an effort to fight corruption and end black market money, the Indian government has banned the use of the 500 and 1000 rupee bill. Overnight. No notice, just banned them. Now, all people with 500 and 1000 rupee notes have to exchange or deposit them. The exchange limited is 4000 rupees and deposit limit is 10,000 rupees. I can only imagine what all the grandmothers and grandfathers are going to do with all the cash they have been storing under their mattresses for ages. I am lucky at least. I spent all the money I had initially withdrawn and was left with only one 500 rupee note. Except I can't use it and ATMs are shut down, so I really have no money. But the coconut guy outside of Sarawati's Shala said I could pay him another day and so did the breakfast guy. So despite the chaos in waiting in a two hour line that gave me an express lesson on India culture to exchange the 500 rupee bill for 5 100 rupee bills, I got my money and I survived yet again to tell the tale...



Maybe all the chakra meditations and coconut water are getting to my head or all this asana has helped increase my patience and ability to handle bull***t, but what was I really going to do about it? Turn around and give up? Pull out my hair? Lose all decency and decorum and throw everything I have learned during my study of yoga out the window and start screaming at people WHAT THE F**K IS WRONG WITH YOU (which has surprisingly worked in the past)? When life doesn't go as planned, I don't stage a nutty, I have some chai and I take a shower, cause that's how it is in the NFL. All I can do is use my discernment and act and react when the time is right and necessary and not just when the time does not appear to be on my side. From my experiences, I trust that there is always some order in the chaos and chaos in the order and that I can never know what is going to happen until it happens. So I will let it happen and see what this chaos might bring and how long I can live in India with only 40 rupees to my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.